The Greek Church "Changing the face" is the first church in the city, being built in 1868, with the contribution of the Greek community.
The story of the beautiful church began about a century and a half ago, when Dobrogea was part of the Ottoman Empire, and the birthmark of the first place of Christian worship in Constanta. The construction of the church began in 1862 year with the agreement of sultan Abdul Aziz Bin Mehmet Han who responded positively to the request of the Greek community to build a place of worship in the area.
Many of the objects that still embellish the Church of "Metamorphosis" are very precious and have been brought abroad by ethnic Greeks shortly before construction works of the place to be started. Remarkable are four Murano crystals donated in the 1862 year, six silver candles brought from Constantinople, a gospel with silver covers and many icons worked during 1812-1870. One of the most important icons of the Greek church "Metamorphosis" is one that embodies Saint Fanurie, a saint most loved by the Greek Orthodox. The original painting inside the church was made in oil by a painter coming from Mount Athos, but because of candle-lit smoke it deteriorated and was replaced with another nine years between 1988-1989.
At present, the Greek Church "Metamorphosis" raises the curiosity of the passers by its small size and the uniqueness of its architecture. Its beauty and importance to the city made the place of worship officially declared a historical monument and cultural monument of Constanta.
Here you can find the address of the Greek Church "Metamorphosis" in Constanta:
Mircea cel Batran Street 36, Constanţa
Hotel Park supports the promotion of Constanta and Mamaia resorts by providing all necessary information to tourists and not only.